The Catalyst Race Series-Second Race begins Saturday, September 18th with a day of fun for racers of all ages and experience. Racers can begin picking up their packets at 8 a.m. A race for adults starts at 9 a.m. and a kids race begins once all racers have finished, approximately 12 pm.
The entry fee for the September 18th race is $35 which includes lunch and a drink or $15 for Junior/Kids. Registration deadline is September 17, 2021.
The first phase of completed trails officially opened on May 1 after five years of planning, fundraising, construction, and thousands of hours of volunteer work. All proceeds for this racing series are dedicated toward the ultimate goal of constructing 30 miles of trails at Touch of Nature.
Sponsored by the Bike Surgeon, the Shawnee Mountain Bike Association (SMBA), Elevate Therapy and Performance, and Touch of Nature, it is the second of three racing events scheduled this fall at SIU’s outdoor education center. A third weekend event is scheduled for November 19-21, 2021.
Event details and schedule
- The event schedule:
- 8 am – Packet Pick up and Check in at Freeberg Hall
- 8:45 am – Race Course pre meeting at Freeberg Hall
- 9:00 am – Expert Mens and Womens start
- 9:15 am – Sport Mens and Womens start
- 9:30 am – Beginner Mens and Womens start
- 9:30 am – Junior Mens and Womens start
- Kids boys and girls start after all racers have finished - approximately 12 pm
- Awards - after Kids Race
- Course info
- All start locations are in Camp 2 and have an open road section before entering main singletrack trail system
- Expert course – Three 10-mile laps
- Sport course – Two 10-mile laps
- Beginner and Junior – One 10-mile lap
- Kids - Fun Loop
- Arrival info:
- Packet pick up opens at 8 am at Freeberg Hall in Camp 2 at SIU’s Touch of Nature Environmental Center. There will be directional signs to the race start once you have entered the Center.
- Parking information:
- Riders and spectators will be able to park in either of the 2 parking lots located in Camp 2. Parking for spectators will also be available at the main trailhead located at the main entrance of the Center. Spectator viewing locations on the race course will be available as well BUT spectators will need to hike out to those locations from the trailhead parking area.
- Waivers and ID:
- Waivers are completed online during registration. Additional waivers will be available on site at registration if needed. NOTE: Juniors and Kids under 18 REQUIRE a parent or guardian signature on the waiver to be able to race.
- What to bring:
- Items you need to race in the category you register for.
- All entry fees include one meal and one drink.
- What to wear:
- Other details you don’t want to forget:
- Race start times are subject to change due to weather or other issues.
- Race may be rescheduled due to inclement weather. These decisions are made by site director and race promoter. Racers will be refunded in the case of cancellation due to weather.
Touch of Nature Environmental
1206 Touch of Nature Road, Makanda